Ashford Railway Works
Long derelict, The Ashford Railway Works is a beacon of Ashford’s faded industrial past. Under the creative direction of Quinn Estates and Guy Hollaway Architects, the complex, which includes six Grade II Listed buildings will be re-imagined to create a whole new industry for the town and area.
Set over 20 acres, the site is adjacent to the International Train Station which provides fast trains to London St Pancras in 38 minutes. Built in 1847, the complex was created to serve the London Dover Railway. It grew over the next 100 years as it took on more work from Battersea. Although damaged in World War II, it remained a locomotive works until 1962 when the work was transferred to Eastleigh. Many of the buildings were demolished over the next 20 years and what remains is the shell of the original workshops.
Taking the form of an arcade, the linear structure lends itself to a variety of uses where imagination and drive can create relevance and innovation out of dereliction.
The proposals are at an early stage but could include;
- Circa 500,000 sq.ft of commercial space including TV, film, animation and studio space
- New retail and leisure space
- A new residential quarter
- New areas of green space
T: 01227 831 212
F: 01227 831 717